The Timothy S Y Lam Foundation recognizes the importance of attending professional conferences for continuing education. Travel grants allow those in the field to meet with other professional and speak about the industry. Attending industry conferences promotes fellowship and affords hospitality professionals access to educational seminars, networking opportunities, and research ideas.
Students, instructors and industry professionals can apply for $500- $2,000/year for registration, travel, and lodging reimbursement.
Applicants may apply for grants or scholarships once a year.
Required in advance of conference:
- Statement of why you want to attend the conference and what subject you would like to write about for your white paper
- Letter of Support
- Travel expense estimates
Required documents post conference (within 90 days from last day of conference):
- A few photos of you at the conference to use in publicity
- Copy of your registration receipt
- Receipts: hotel folio with charges; airline itinerary/receipt; rental car agreement/receipt; shuttle, bus, train or taxi receipt (We DO NOT reimburse for dining, drinks or other activities).
- A requirement of the travel grant is that you produce a white paper (2-5 pages) on your topic of choice within 90 days after the conference. (I.e.; trends in event design, catering, wedding coordination, or conference and event planning; updates in HR compliance or competency; understanding government regulations covering business operations; etc.) A white paper is not a report on what took place the conference. It is a research paper based on a topic covered at the conference with at least one other reference beyond the conference materials.
You will be reimbursed for your travel expenses once you have fulfilled all the post conference requirements and your white paper is ready for publishing.
Click here to fill out and submit an application.
Completed applications will be discussed at the next board meeting. Applicants will be notified of the board’s decision to approve or deny a grant within two weeks following the board meeting.
Full applications are due by: February 15
Grant decision meetings are held in the month of: March
Notice of award or declination will be sent on or before: April 15
Full applications are due by: May 15
Grant decision meetings are held in the month of: June
Notice of award or declination will be sent on or before: July 15
Full applications are due by: August 15
Grant decision meetings are held in the month of: September
Notice of award or declination will be sent on or before: October 15
Full applications are due by: November 15
Grant decision meetings are held in the month of: December
Notice of award or declination will be sent on or before: January 15